Saturday, August 30, 2008

Passing to Fellow Craft

On Thursday, August 28, 2008 I was passed to the degree of Fellow Craft, the Second Degree of Ancient Freemasonry. In order to be qualified to pass to this degree I had to recite in open Lodge all the material from the Entered Apprentice degree that I have been working to memorize over the past month. I wish I could say I was able to do it perfectly, but there were a couple of stumbles. The Fellow Craft Degree itself was memorable and moving, and the fellowship warm and welcoming at the dinner afterwards.

The memory work for this degree starts next week as I prepare to be raised a Master Mason at the end of September.

2 comments:

Clint R. Murphy said...

Great to read your blog, which is very enlightening on the process.

I became an E.A. freemason effective last Thursday and will admit it was definitely a great experience.

The reason I found your blog was I was researching the memory work, which you discuss. There wasn't significant guidance given at our lodge, only that we would receive a package and certain of that package must be memorized. I received it tonight, but much of the wording/sections in the required memorization section is blank or has only the first or some letters of words.

Based on understanding your process, I take this to mean that I am to meet with my coach and discuss the sections and learn from him and I think the benefit there is that if I can remember what we've discussed for the words that are missing, I can add them to the package I have and the memorization work should speed up.

Good Luck in the rest of your journey's and I will try to keep being a reader of your writing!

All the Best,

Clint R. Murphy

Esquire said...

Clint,

Every Masonic jurisdiction is different. In my Lodge, nothing in writing is given to the new Mason to memorize. It is all conveyed orally by his coach. (It is supposed to be that way in every Lodge in South Carolina.) Your jurisdiction may be different. You should be getting some guidance from somebody in the Lodge, and if you don't, be sure to ask.

Good luck on your Masonic Journey, and welcome to the Craft.

Gary